Tuesday, September 27, 2011

"Stay in the house" day

Hope you all are having a fabulous day!  Fall is one of my favorite seasons.  I love the cool, crisp air, apples, and cuddling up inside with a book, boyfriend and a cat!   I've been craving apple cider like noone's business.  I'm watching my cats buddied up at the picture window right now.  They love to "people watch!"  Just like their momma.  I'll post a pic of the two of them soon.  You've heard about Phil (the giant, orange "lovebug").  There's also Ricky, his "little brother."  Ricky is a smaller, younger grey tabby.  Shy and sensitive; he's going to be the one that comes up to you if you are sitting quietly, and just snuggle on your lap. 

I am such an animal lover.  I have some more spare time lately and have been thinking about volunteering at the Animal Rescue League. 
I haven't been the most productive on the weekends and think it would be fun!  What do you think?  It's better than "Stay in the house" day.  LOL, let me explain.

I have a goal to pay off all my student loan debt.  So far, I've paid off a little over half, the original amount being around $32,000.  I also have paid off my car (2008 Honda Civic, bought new, two and a half years early).  I'm proud of that!  Before I started, I was so overwhelmed I never thought I could ever do it.  Dave Ramsey has been a big part of this, and I can't wait to go to Financial Peace Plaza on debt free Friday and scream "I'm debt free."  Yay!  Someday that is not yet.

I've come up with some creative ways to pay off some of this debt, one of these being "Stay in the house" day.  Basically it's what it sounds like, if you don't leave the house, you don't spend any money.  You do what you'd do normally; talk on the phone, watch tv, cook, have a friend over, play the Wii, anything (but you don't leave the house).  Yes, you could go out and run on a "free" trail, but I know I'd want to stop at the Kum n' Go and get a water.  That costs money, and "Stay in the house" day doesn't let you spend any money.  LOL, unless you were to shop online.  It's not for everyone (and you don't want to stay in the house every day for obvious emotional reasons), but I don't always have the discipline to go out and not spend money, so I have to create my own ways.  I've been able to do it lately because my boyfriend Zac has season Iowa tickets and is gone all day on Saturdays.  Admittedly, I'm sort of embarrassed when he asks me what I did all day, and "I didn't leave the house" for "Stay in the house" day.  

What do you do to help save money? 



2 comments:

  1. What day is Stay in the house day? I should start doing this...

    I was listening to Dave Ramsey on NPR yesterday and I thought of you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I usually do either Saturday or Sunday. I feel like I have no life when I do it though! Dave Ramsey rocks!

    ReplyDelete