Monday, October 10, 2011

American Eagle Jeans

Here's a random post of the night:
American Eagle Outfitters was a favorite of mine in college.  Their cute clothes were perfect for walking around on campus (Shout out to Iowa State, yay)!  I spent many a dollar at American Eagle.  Nothing like an A&E hoodie to wear out on campus or a cute sweater...
So, towards the end of September, I was walking through the mall with Zac and saw that American Eagle was having a sale ($29.99 for most pairs of their jeans), I was pretty stoked.  I hadn't gone in the store for YEARS and was looking for some cute skinny jeans.  American Eagle, well had them...
I bought some that kind of looked like this...
They are my favorite 80s throwback that aren't so 80s anymore!  I wear them with flats, like the model shown here, or boots, and, voila super cute!  Skinny jeans, to me, look put together, and when it's snowy outside, they don't drag along the ground causing that 6 inches of cold, wet jean along  your calves, oh brrrr.....and they get all dirty...not a fan of regular, boot cut jeans during the winter (though I wear those also, just need to make sure to wear taller shoes when it snows...)...but here's the thing. 

They smell...

Really weird...like a bleachy, dirty, hung in a chicken coop type smell.

I'm not kidding!

I don't know if I want to wear them.  I don't think other people can notice.  I tend to be one of those people that washes their jeans every time I wear them, so I go through a lot of jeans (!)...and I like them to smell fresh out of the dryer.  These jeans don't smell like that.  AND it's not just these--I bought two other pairs and they smell just the same.  My other jeans don't have a smell, it's just my American Eagle ones...

The guy checking me out called me ma'am, which was kind of "stinky" too.  My mom is ma'am!  Not me!  Zac was like, it IS obvious you are older than a lot of the people in the store, you're not dressed like a teenager and you don't look like one.  Thanks ;).  He didn't say it mean, but maybe it's time I don't go shopping down memory lane. 

I'm not the only one who's noticed this...
http://fashion.allwomenstalk.com/american-eagle-jeans-smell-weird/
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20110118190404AALwr3K

What is your fashion quirk?  Anyone ever notice this at another store?

5 comments:

  1. That is so weird that they smell so bad. It must something to do with their warehouse... I would write a letter or complain to someone because it's probably something easy they can fix.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bought these cute boots last year that SMELL. It makes me really paranoid...I don't know if anyone else can smell them, but it drives me nuts. I've tried everything...I've fabrezed them, set them outside, put perfume all over them...they still stink.

    Now I want to smell your jeans. That is one of the weirdest sentences I've ever written btw.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I bought two pairs of American Eagle dark wash jeans. I didn't notice the smell until after I washed them. I kept smelling...well, pooh! My daughter realized it's the jeans. After three washes still smelling horrible. I have noticed several other online references to the smell of AE jeans. I really like the jeans but I won't wear them now due to the smell. Funny thing is I was also called Ma'am...it's a conspiracy!

    ReplyDelete