Wednesday, October 12, 2011

What I'm loving Wednesdays Part 2

Hello!  Just wanted to let you know what I'm loving today!!

Greek Quinoa and Avocado Salad from "Better Homes and Gardens:  Anyone Can Cook" book.  It's true!  Anyone can with these recipes.  They are organized in skill levels (1,2,3)--and even the 3's are not that difficult.  I fixed this for dinner.  It's light, healthy, and incorporates my beloved lemon/olive oil combo with my favorite grain, quinoa (keen-wa).  Quinoa is easy to cook (less than 15 minutes), plus it's a complete protein all on it's own.  Take that rice and beans!  This is also delicious with couscous, which is even easier to cook, 5 minute tops!


Greek Quinoa and Avocado Salad (from "Better Homes and Gardens:  Anyone Can Cook")
1/2 cup uncooked quinoa, rinsed and drained
1 cup water
2 roma tomatoes, seeded and finely chopped
1/2 cup fresh spinach
1/3 cup finely chopped red onion (I omitted this)
2 tablespoons lemon juice
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 teaspoon salt
Spinach leaves
2 ripe avocados, halved, seeded, peeled and sliced
1/3 cup crumbled feta cheese

Mix the quinoa and water in a saucepan.  Bring to boil, then simmer for 15 minutes, covered.  Keep it in the pan, mix in tomato, spinach and onion, stir to combine.  Whisk together lemon, olive oil, and salt.  Toss to coat.  Place spinach leaves on 4 salad plates.  Arrange avocado slices on the spinach leaves.  Spoon mixture over avocado slices.

Easiest Recipe Ever.  

Rainy days.  Today couldn't make up it's mind.  I woke up to thunder and lightning.  By the time I left this morning, it was cloudy.  Then around 10:30 a.m., the sun came out.  Around 1:30 p.m., looked like it was about 8 p.m. outside, choked with rain.  Now it's sunny again!  I love rainy days (and we've been pretty low on them lately around Iowa).
Reese's Peanut Butter Cups.  I love them and always have.  Especially the miniatures!  A main staple in my refrigerator.  I may not always have milk or butter, but I usually have Reese's Peanut Butter Cups.

2 comments: